The School's last Ofsted Inspection was in October 2015.
Please click the link below to read the full Ofsted Report:
- The headteacher has made a good start and has done a great deal to pinpoint the right priorities.
- Teachers are improving pupils’ progress in writing and mathematics.
- A significant number of teachers have excellent subject knowledge and this helps them to inspire and enliven pupils and their learning.
- Pupils behave well in lessons. They are respectful and courteous around the school.
- Parents and carers are very supportive and are very pleased with the way the school is now being led, governed and managed.
- The curriculum is broad, balanced and enriched with interesting topics, visits and projects for pupils to enjoy and learn.
Areas for Improvement
- Make sure that teachers and support staff provide pupils with the right level of challenge in all lessons.
- Make sure that senior and middle leaders and the governing body have a greater impact on improving teaching to raise achievement in all classes.
- Improve the quality and effectiveness of supervision at breaktimes to make sure that all Key Stage 2 pupils behave well and safely when playing outdoors.
- Raise standards in reading and sustain the current rise in achievement in mathematics.
Help us to make Thornton an outstanding school!
The Governing body are very happy with the recent report following the recent Ofsted visit. The report indicates a positive external endorsement of all the actions we have been taking to make sure we are moving towards becoming an Outstanding school. I would like to congratulate all the staff, our leadership team, parents and most importantly the pupils for this very positive letter. The desire to make Thornton into an outstanding school has been lived by everyone. The report mentions how effective our Leadership team really is in making sure our school moves forward. The governing body would like to thank Sue and her team for all their hard work and leadership into making sure that Thornton is moving forward rapidly. It has been a tough and challenging year and all the hard work done by everyone has really put Thornton school into a good position. Now we must continue this drive and really push for excellence in all that we do and only then we will reach our goal of becoming an outstanding school for everyone.
Amjid Ali, Chair of Governors.
Ofsted Parent View
Under the new Ofsted Inspection Framework, parents will not be asked to fill in a questionnaire about the school. Views can be shared on the Parent View page of the Ofsted website.
Parent View will ask for your opinion on twelve aspects of our school. By sharing your views, you are helping us to make improvements to Thornton Primary school.